Following on from last years hugely popular ‘Stay On The Groove ‘ compilation of modern funk anthems, ‘Let The Groove Move You ‘ picks up where the last left off with 20 more slices of funk made to make you move your butt. As with the first compilation, all of the tracks are written and performed by bands in the modern funk scene: those who are not just re-living but also re-defining the funk sound for a new generation.
All the big hitters are present – Quantic Soul Orchestra, Breakestra, The Bamboos, Poets Of Rhythm, Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings and The New Mastersounds alongside lesser known artists such as Natural Self (Tru Thoughts/Breakin Bread), The Budos Band, Cookin’ On 3 Burners, The Soul Snatchers and the Limp Twins.
As well as the above, there are also a number of exclusives: making their appearance on CD for the first time. James Brown’s legendary soul sister Marva Whitney comes correct with the amazing ‘I Am What I Am’: amazingly still sounding only 20 years old! Canada’s Quartertones drop a sleazy slice of carchase funk: with UK b-boy DJ Format applying the brakes on the remix. You will also find the rarer-than-hens-teeth ‘Wind Your Clock’ by Naomi Davis: only 10 copies of this track exist as it was never commercially released: what a killer!
1. Bamboos & Alice Russell – Step It Up (3:33)
2. Cookin’ On 3 Burners – Cressy St Breakdown (4:15)
3. Breakestra – Got To Let Me Know (3:26)
4. Poets Of Rhythm – More Mess On My Thing (4:03)
5. Quantic Soul Orchestra & Alice Russell – Pushin On (3:16)
6. Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings – Genuine (3:53)
7. Orasio Garcia & Young Musicians Aware – Outer Space (4:17)
8. Marva Whitney – I Am What I Am (4:36)
9. Speedometer – At The Speakeasy (3:14)
10. New Mastersounds – Give Me A Minute (3:01)
11. Boogaloo Investigators – Let’s Work A While (3:30)
12. Quartertones – Caffeine (3:24)
13. Limp Twins – Another Day In The Life Of Mr Jones (3:11)
14. Budos Band – Budos Theme (3:05)
15. Soul Snatchers – Get Yourself Together (3:13)
16. Kashmere Stage Band – Superstrut (6:38)
17. Apples – Attention (3:34)
18. Clarence Foster & The Internal – Fry Chicken In Your Hotpants (1:45)
19. Natural Self & Alice Russell – I Don’t Need This Trouble (3:59)
20. Naomi Davis – Wind Your Clock (5:06)
Download: “VA – Let the Groove Move You: 20 Modern Funk Anthems (2006)”